The UAA Bulletin Board is the town square of the Association which provides recent information of interest and importance to Alumni. We encourage local members and those outside the D.C. area to provide us with the development-related articles or items published in local news media, development organization statements, and other relevant sources.
You can submit items for posting by sending them to “firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: UAA Bulletin Board”. The articles will be posted as titles that, when clicked on, will pop up on the reader’s website page.
- The Modernizing Foreign Assistance Network (MFAN) Welcomes New Co-Chair, Executive Director and Members to its Coalition, MFAN, Sept. 6, 2023.
USAID alumni are invited to join us, in person or online, on Monday, August 28, from 9 to 11 a.m. EDT, for “Africa’s Future: “Climate Change,” with speakers by video from around Africa and, in person here in Washington, Ambassador Charles Ray, Chair of the Africa Program at the Foreign Policy Research Institute. The forum will take place at the University of Southern California Washington DC center, 1771 N Street NW. Light breakfast will be available. To attend in person or online, please RSVP at https://africa-series-aug-28.
- A visitation for Maryanne Yerkes will be held at the Advent Funeral Home in Falls Church, VA, on August 11, 2023, from 4 PM to 8 PM, and a funeral service will be held at Columbia Gardens Cemetery on Saturday, August 12 and 10 AM.
- A Celebration of Life is planned for Jim Walker on August 26, 2023, 2:00-5:00 pm at Clydes, Willow Creek Farms in Ashburn, VA. Address is: 42920 Broadlands Blvd., Broadlands, VA 20148.
- A Memorial Service for Douglas Tinsler, who passed away on June 20, 2023, is planned for October 15, 2023, at 2:30 pm at the Clifton Institute, 6712 Blantyre Rd., Warrenton, VA 20187.
- Upcoming USC breakfast forums on Africa are scheduled for July 31, Global Powers and Multilateralism; August 28, Climate Change; and September 25, Business and Trade, all at the USC Washington building, 1771 N Street, NW, Washington, DC. RSVP to Judy Kang at email@example.com
- Memorial Mass for Robert Bruce “Bob” Meighan at Our Lady Queen of Peace (OLQP), Arlington, VA, on Wednesday, June 14, 2023, at 11 AM followed by a reception in the Founder’s room.
- Monday, June 26, 9-11 AM, USC June Forum on “Africa’s Future: Peace and Security,” at Lindner Commons in George Washington University’s Elliott School, 1957 E Street NW, 6th floor, Washington DC. RSVP: Judy Kang at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Celebration of the Life and Work of Molly Hageboeck will be held at 1834 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 2009 on Thursday, July 13, 2023.
- The U.S. Development Approach: A Conversation with Former USAID Administrators, May 8, 2023.
- Supporting our FSN Colleagues in Sudan. As of Sunday, April 23, 2023, the U.S. suspended Embassy Sudan operations after the successful evacuation of our U.S. direct-hire staff. Many of our Foreign Service National (FSN) colleagues remain in Sudan, facing both immediate risks to their safety and grave uncertainty about their country’s future. There are two direct ways you can help our colleagues today. Click here for more information.
- Invitation to USGLC Global Impact Forum on 7 June 2023 in Washington, DC
- Terry Byrnes memorial service to be held at 11:30 AM (after family visitation at 10:30 AM) on Monday, April 3, 2023, at the Money & King Funeral Home (171 Maple Ave. W, Vienna, VA). The memorial service will be streamed live and accessible on the Money & King website in the days after the ceremony (https:\\www.moneyandking.com).
- Administrator Samantha Power at the Launch of USAID’s Policy Framework: Driving Progress Beyond Programs, USAID Press Release 3/23/2023
- Devex: Interesting Comments from NGO leaders in impact of USAID “Localization” (3/22/2023)
- MFAN Applauds Aid Effectiveness Proposals in Administration’s FY24 International Affairs Budget Request, 3/21/2023
- The text of Henrietta Fore’s oral history has just been posted to ADST’s website. Read it here. (3/17/2023)
- USAID Alumni are invited to join a breakfast forum on “Africa’s Future: Democracy and Human Rights,” on Tuesday morning, February 28, at 9:00 a.m. EST
- From Frank Almaguer: The attached contains a compilation of articles about USAID going back to the early 1960s.
- UAA Makes New Inroads Across Peninsula Florida, by Jim Bever, January 27, 2023
- A Memorial Service for John Thomas Rifenbark will be held at 12 noon on Friday, February 24, at Vienna Presbyterian Church, 124 Park St. NE, Vienna, VA.
- A Celebration of Life Service for Dana Austin Lund will be held at Ashby Ponds’ Farmwell Hall on Monday, January 30, at 2:00 p.m.
- Former USAID officer, Amb. Liliana Ayalde (Ret.) Speaks about Brazil Today on Feb 13th, 6:30pm EST
- Call for Nominations: 2023-2025 AFSA Governing Board. Please consider joining the next AFSA leadership team by running for a position on the 2023-2025 AFSA Governing Board. (Feb. 15, 2023, deadline for nominations.) See the announcement here.
- Strategies for International Development (SID), is looking for new Board members to expand our Board of Directors. See its announcement here.
- Ann Richards passed away on January 5, 2023. Her family is planning a Celebration of her life on Friday, April 14, 2023, from 4 to 7 p.m. at The Hill Center, 921 Pennsylvania Ave. SE, Washington, DC 20003.
- A memorial service for Wayne Tate will be held at Fairfax Memorial Funeral Home on January 16, 2023, from 1 to 2 p.m. followed by a graveside service. He passed away on January 2, 2023.
- Summary of Omnibus Appropriations Bill provisions for State/Foreign Operations, 23 Dec 2022
- Why We Hosted 49 Delegations from Africa This Week, Sec’y Antony J. Blinken, Dept. of State, 16 Dec 2022
- USAID warns against striking as labor dispute roils health bureau, /DEVEX by Michael Igoe, 16 Dec 2022
- United States to Provide $2 Billion in Humanitarian Assistance for the People of Africa, Press Release, 15 Dec 2022
- A memorial service will be held at DACOR in Washington, DC, on December 13 for Anton “Tony” Cistaro, who passed away on October 7, 2022.
- James Robert Hannon Paul Cummiskey passed away on 1 December 2022 due to cardiac arrest.
- Funeral Service for Richard Allen on December 10, 2022, at 1:00 PM at the Murphy Funeral Home, 1102 W. Broad St. (Hwy 7), Falls Church, VA. Donations, in lieu of flowers, should be made to Doctors Without Borders.
- Memorial Service for Tina Forrester Cleland Dec. 10, 2022
- USAID’s Local Capacity Strengthening Policy, Statement by Modernizing Foreign Assistance Network (MFAN), Nov. 2, 2022
- Draft USAID Policy for Localization of Humanitarian Assistance, Oct. 24, 2022
- USGLC: 2022 Global Impact Project Report
- WhiteHouse.gov: Interim National Security Strategic Guidance
- Anera Organization — new social ambassador program
- USAID’s humanitarian bureau is under pressure and overstretched
- USAID Day at the Historic DACOR Bacon House.
- David Shear celebration of life: 3:30pm, October 30, at the Hollin Hall of Mt. Vernon Unitarian Church.
- Gathering in memory of Richard Blue: afternoon of September 24, 2022 at Susan and Richard’s home in Bluemont, Virginia. For information contact Susan Holloran at email@example.com.
- Former A/AID Brian Atwood’s oral history posted on ADST’s website.
- DACOR Bacon House Foundation’s Homecoming event, September 9th at 2:30 pm: full English Afternoon Tea. (Register here.)
- Payne Fellowships: Applications Open for 2023 Cohort
- September 14 John Eriksson-Led Global Peace Services Forum on State-Level Implementation of the Climate Change Provisions of the U.S. Inflation Reduction Act of 2022
- Celebration of Life: Sher Plunkett
- Emergency Relief Funds for Ukraine: for FSNs and for Ukrainian Citizens
- USGLC’s President, Liz Schrayer, on the 2022 Global Impact Forum (June 24)
- USGLC International Affairs Budget Update (June 23)
- DACOR List of Comprehensive Ways to Contribute Assistance to Ukrainians
- USAID Administrator Power on Localization at the Skoll World Forum
- Marked and Branded by Holly Ferrette
- AID announces Global Fragility Act Countries
- Dilian Deal Memorial Scholarship
- USGLC: Liz Schrayer’s Top 7 Takeaways from Administration’s Budget Request
- Virtual Retirement Ceremony for SFS and SES
- CSIS Livestream on 50 Years of Bangladesh-U.S. Relations and Beyond
- Outreach to “Road Scholars”
- Remembering Madeleine Albright by Liz Schrayer, USGLC
- The World Madeleine Albright Worked to Build (USAID Administrator Samantha Power)
- Politics never trumped my 40-year friendship with Madeleine Albright (Former USAID Administrator, Brian Atwood)
- Update on USAID’s Afghanistan Response
- Fighting for Peace: Serving During the Sri Lankan Civil War (David J. Garms)
- Ways to Support the People of Ukraine
- MFAN Congratulates Alice Albright and Scott Nathan on their Confirmations by the US Senate
- Devex: Samantha Power on UN Vote Condemning Russian invasion
- President Biden: To the Dedicated Members of the Federal Workforce
- Putin’s abuse of history is straight out of the autocrats playbook
- USAID Executive Message: “Supporting our FSN Colleagues in Ukraine
- Urgent Message from USAID Kyiv
- General Notice from the USAID Administrator: Standing with Ukraine
- USGLC Liz Schrayer: military + business leaders speak out
- USAID Announcing a New Counselor to the Agency from Administrator Samantha Power (January 4, 2022)
- Terry Myers Letter in January 1, 2022 NYTimes re GI Bill for Afghans (January 1, 2022)